What are the emotional affair signs?
If you understand that emotional affairs at work are common and that your husband or wife seems distant lately, your imagination may be in overdrive, suspecting them of infidelity. Top of your list of questions will be WHY? Why is your husband spending so much time emotionally connected to another woman? If you suspect cheating but cannot imagine why it could be happeneing, it may help to read Reasons Why Men Cheat. Certainly if some of these reasons are present in your marriage, you should be concerned about emotional withdrawal from you. Whether they are cheating physically or emotionally, the emotional affair signs are very similar to those of a spouse conducting a full blown physically intimate affair, with one very distinctive difference; the level of denial. A spouse having an emotional affair may be in total denial that their relationship is any kind of affair. Their armor against your accusations is the knowledge that they have not slept with this person at work, or the gym, or the evening class. This is just a friend you are anxious about; it is the 21st century, not the Victorian era; men and women can be friends; the list of arguments is relentless, and you need to be very clear in your mind what is an emotional affair, and is your spouse even aware that they are in the middle of one? Below are some of the emotional affair signs you need to be aware of.
Emotional affair signs to look out for are:
A lack of communication that has grown over a period of time especially where one area of your spouseâ€™s life seems to be off limits, often their work life.
- Initially a lot of references to a work colleague that recently seem to have tailed off. This could be continuing if they seem not to realize they are involved with this person emotionally.
- Annoyance at your concerns about this person they are spending so much time with followed by a drop in references to them and then a refusal point blank to discuss this other person. This is a sign of developing guilt; they are cross because you are questioning their friendship, then they start to question themselves, and finally they start to hide it from you as they see the validity of your concerns.
- The classic, working late at the office, or possibly, a sudden increase in gym attendance, evenings out without you and lunchtimes where the mobile is switched off. As the emotional affair gathers momentum, so they need to spend more time with their emotional confidante.
- Emotional affairs at work are easier to cover up as they have to spend time with this coworker and so it can be justified. However, other work colleagues will have noticed the emotional affair co-worker situation and will feel uncomfortable about it, especially difficult for them if they know you socially as a couple. If your partners other coworkers seem awkward and embarrassed when they meet you, this is a sign that they certainly believe an emotional affair is happening.
- Your sex life may or may not be affected by this and emotional affair signs do not always include a reduction in physical intimacy; it will depend on your spouseâ€™s overall feelings towards the marriage.
- The intimacy that is being withdrawn is emotional intimacy, and this could well be a gut feeling of exclusion from your partnersâ€™ important emotions and feelings, even from some of the important decisions that they make.
If all or any of these emotional affair signs are apparent, then, whether or not your spouse is having an emotional affair, you need to tackle this withdrawal of intimacy. If you believe your partner is having an emotinal affair, you will need help to sort it out. Prepare yourself by reading Break Free from the Affair. It may be very hard to challenge your spouse and, without concrete evidence, other than these emotional affair signs, difficult to get at the truth, but you owe it to your marriage to try.